Tun Sardon is the most challenging hill road in Penang Island. If you are not satisfied with the results of your first round the island of Penang, you should definitely try Tun Sardon. Personally, I only climb the hill from Balik Pulau on the west side of Penang Island, which is called the “back side” of the island.
Tun Sardon [Back]（Balik Pulau – Sungai Ara / Air Hitam)
The route starts from Balik Pulau, the west side of the island, up the hill which runs middle of the island. After the peak, descending from the summit to the east, it is possible to descend in the direction of Air Hitam and Air Itam or Penang Golf CLub and Sungai Ara. If incorporated into a round-the-island route, it is easy to write a route that circles the island in a figure of eight and gains more than 1,000 meters in elevation.
Average gradient: 6.1
Maximum gradient: 12.1
Elevation gained: 264m (no descent)
- The paved road with the best balance of distance and slope in Penang
- Relatively easy to climb due to moderate traffic
- Rest stop at the top for refueling during the day
- Balik Pulau can be seen from the top.
- No cheating, just a straight uphill line!
Points to note
- There are no refueling points along the route, both front and back, and it is hot during the day, so I recommend carrying two bottles for the first time you climb (the rest house may not even be open).
- There are some bad road surfaces, floating sand, and large grates along the way, so please descend at a moderate speed that allows you to handle the downhill until you know the course.
- Wild dogs may be out later in the evening (I’ve never had one come after me during the day)
Climb starts with gradient climb around 5-6%
When you turn steep left turn looking a temple on he right, you will face the steepest part
In the evening time it is also stunning
When you start seeing nice view of Balik Pulau, only 1/3 of the way left! Feels like almost the peak but you are not! Take a break and move on.
When you reach the top, you will see the rest area with some shops, go to the end of the parking lot to look down beautiful country side of Balik Pulau
The rest shop may not be open, so be sure to carry enough supply. Enjoy if it is open 😉